8.31.2011

Real food

Sometime within the next few months, E. will be ready to sample her first solid foods. In anticipation of this event, I have been reading and researching what foods should be introduced first. When you think of baby's first food, you (myself included) probably think of rice cereal. However, I have come across a lot of information that suggests that rice cereal actually isn't the best choice for their first food.

(On a side note, I have also heard it suggested to start a baby on rice cereal as early as 3-4 months, in order to "add substance" to breast milk or formula. During my food research, I have also found out it is better to delay starting baby on solids until 6-7 months old. This article gives a good explanation of why it's better for baby to wait.)

My goal is to start E. with homemade fruit and vegetable purees. I figure purchasing the food and making it at home will be a good way to encourage myself to eat more fruits and vegetables, too. I have realized that if I want my child to grow up to be a healthy eater, then I have to lead by example, and start eating healthier myself - as I munch on a double chocolate chip Subway cookie. Oh boy.

Which brings me to... 100 Days of Real Food. My best friend (we'll call her "O") introduced me to this website, about a family who made a pledge to cut out processed foods from their diet for 100 days. How cool, huh? The website also gives tips on how to do "mini pledges" - week-by-week pledges of cutting out different things, such as artificial sweeteners, ingredients you can't pronounce, refined oils, etc. My friend O. is going to try a 30 day pledge with her family, and I've decided to give it a try too! Starting September 1st, my goal is to follow the Real Food Defined "rules" as to what I should and shouldn't eat. It is going to be quite a challenge, because I loooove me some junk food! But I am determined to change my eating habits and be a better role model, for myself and my family.




No comments:

Post a Comment